To continue the theme from a previous week’s article, we have answers to some common questions about power outages.
- Can I shower or flush my toilet during a power outage?
- Yes, you can still use your toilet during a power outage, and if it has trouble flushing, you can easily fix the problem by pouring water into the bowl
- Showering during a power outage is perfectly safe. However, if you have a tankless water heater, it does not provide hot water in the event of a power outage unless it is connected to a backup generator. If you have a traditional water heater it is also important to note that there will be a limited supply of hot water available in the heater, and therefore depending on the length of the power outage, you should try to conserve water
- Where do I report a power outage?
- To report a power outage in your area you should inform your local utility. Have your local utility’s number on hand in advance!
- How long will my power be out?
- This depends on the severity of the storm and the accessibility of your home to electrical workers.
If you haven’t read last week’s article about preparing for a power outage be sure to check it out for more tips and tricks!